Friday, October 9, 2009

My Moon shot

Caption: This image is a capture from a NASA video. Obviously they had more powerful telescope that gives bigger more detailed imagery though even NASA could not see the explosion that was estimated to be 6 miles high from the crater impact.

Caption: The second image is the one I took on my D200 earlier this morning.



Hey all,

Sorry for the late follow-up but I pretty much crashed after I took the photos [of the LCROSS blast]. Unfortunately about five minutes before the rocket impacted, a small cloud layer/mist showed up in front of my view of the moon. This pretty much obscured any details I might have gotten from my 200mm part of the lens (including 1.5 focal multiplier from my D200 sized senor = total 300mm). So pretty you can see only the shape and reflective part of the moon despite the different exposure settings I used on all the shots. There wasn't enough detail to see the explosion much less the craters. I'm including my best shot (including haze) and one from NASA's website for comparison. In any case, NASA reported that the "Lunar explosion yields no naked-eye results".

I'll try to take some shots of the next meteor/comet show or a lunar eclipse.

Cheers,
jp

No comments: