Monday, June 7, 2010

Photo Tips

I've been trying to master the art of using artificial lighting (i.e. flashgun, studio lights, etc) when I don't have the luxury of ambient light. I've shot with both Canon and Nikon flash guns. The most difficult part is using the external flash as either fill lighting (i.e. on a bright day) or as primary lighting (i.e. indoor lighting). Both have their advantages and disadvantages. From using it as direct flash [oh those horrible flat images!) to using third party adapters (Fong dome diffusers, A better bounce card, bouncing lighting). Well I found this great technique from an article on "Making the Most of one Flash [Case Study]". I'll post some photos later this week on my practice using this new technique. In the meantime, I'd recommend trying it yourself.

jp

1 comment:

Andrew Wong said...

I've actually purchased the Gary Fong lightsphere used on eBay for $10 shipped. Great little device to carry around with you if you're indoors with low lighting conditions.

The technique posted in your link suggests merging images. So, if you were to take candid portraits, that would almost be impossible if the person/figure moves. And also, there is software that fixes this problem as well. Look into a plugin app called LightMachine for Adobe PS CS3+

http://thepluginsite.com/products/photowiz/lightmachine/index.htm

I have a copy, and it works in certain situations. Check out the example page to see real results.