Tuesday, August 25, 2009

jpp thoughts

Although i was going to work on some album designs and my upcoming senior photos advertising campaign, I spent most of today and parts of yesterday trying to get rid of a pernicious malware called "Total Security." It mimics other virus and anti-spam software. Based upon my google search, apparently it scares people into buying their software with false messages of virus and spam alerts. How they've been able to run a legitimate company and product with this type of tactics is beyond me. So after updating to a new malware/anti-spam software (goodbye Microsoft Defender which I am no longer using) and manually editing my registry, I think Ive removed TS. I'll find out if it works when I restart my computer. Previously whenever I restarted my computer after scanning and cleaning with the new software, TS would always pop up again. If I knew where the makers of TS lived, I would hunt them down with a dull knife!!

jp

1 comment:

JP said...

Justin,

Thank you for your feedback. So far this is the only post I've written about the Total Security malware/spam issue that im experiencing. At this time, the problem is still occuring. Everytime I reboot my computer, the TS still comes up. I've tried using the manual instructions from this link http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-total-security.html to remove all the files (registry, root, exe, etc). But this darn program keeps coming back!!

Any suggestions on how to permanently remove this would be helpful. I've even installed PC Toolsd spyware doctor but still no go...

Thanks,
jp