Sunday, February 28, 2010

Healthcare in the News

I found this story on MSNBC while perusing the current events as is my daily routine in the morning. What I found interesting about this particular story is that even someone from a very reputable news company and a well known healthcare insurance still ran into the huge red tape of what is becoming normal with the current healthcare industry. With days probably making a difference with her current cancer condition, she has to deal with the somewhat idiotic bureaucracy of her healthcare provider. In short, its a telling tale of some of the endemic problems with healthcare.

For me this is an example on why we need to overhaul our healthcare system. As the writer notes at the end of her article, "I'm in despair. I think back to last year, when I signed up for early Social Security. It took one phone call. Fifteen minutes max. Everything was loaded into their system and I could look it up online. All the information was there. It was all correct. My checks come like clockwork on the same day every month. I've never had one problem. Last year my husband signed up for Medicare. Same experience. No problems, no complaints. This is your government at work. Some bureaucrats know how to get it right." If the government bureacrats can get it right for the healthcare insurance problems than I'm all for them overhauling the system instead of leaving it to the current private industry bureaucrats.

jp

No comments: