Friday, April 9, 2010

Go screw yourself Apple

This was posted on my Social Media blog but I figured I should post it on my personal one, too.

Normally I don’t post technology news here but on my personal blog but this recent article is relevant to anyone using today’s technology. Plus Adobe’s Platform Evangelist, Lee Brimelow, is using his blog and the press picking up the article to get his message out (Hello can you say Social Media!).

Getting back to the original topic, the reason this steams me is I am an avid user of Adobe’s products including Flash. While I am not a user of Apple’s very popular products like the iPhone and the iPad, I am an admirer of their innovation and popularity. However I am peeved at Apple’s, and by extension Steve Job’s, insidious ploy to not allow Flash to work on their products. From the iPhone to the new iPad. For me this has implications as my main photography website uses Flash. I know of literally thousands (if not millions) of websites that uses flash too. So this hits me on a personal level. Now if the premise of Lee Brimelow’s article is correct, Apple is not doing this for the good of the public or the little developers. Nope they are doing this to control the market, squeeze more profits and give the boot to a potential competitor like Adobe. Hello? Doesn’t this smack of anti-competition? Where is the US Department of Justice in all of this? You would think they would already be announcing some sort of anti-competitive investigation on Apple.

On the other hand, I do applaud Adobe’s stance on this situation. Instead of retaliating as Lee Brimelow suggests they could do, “Many of Adobe’s supporters have mentioned that we should discontinue the Creative Suite products on OS X as a form of retaliation. Again, this is something that Adobe would never consider in a million years. We are not looking to abuse our loyal users and make them pawns for the sake of trying to hurt another company.”

In short, we should be supporting the guys at Adobe that develop apps that help artists, photographers, etc. We should not be helping a company that puposely cuts out a company that could help them make their products even more amazing.

To paraphrase Lee Brimelow, “Go screw yourself Apple!”

jp

P.S. I added the “!” to Lee’s phrase as a way of completing the sentiment.

No comments: