Friday, June 19, 2015

Project Fi invitation

I recently signed up for the Google Project Fi invitation that was made available a few weeks back. After waiting all week long, my Project Fi kit came in the mail yesterday! I carefully removed the box out of the box. With much ohhhing and ahhhing, I unwrapped each of the 3 ribboned items in the box. They consisted of (1) Nexus 6 case (2) External battery (3) nice pair of high-quality headphones. All of which has the Project Fi logo branded on each item. 8) It took me about 20-30 minutes to factory reset and install Android 5.1 on my Nexus 6 before the kit arrived. Admittedly the installation was fairly easy following the information on the Project Fi (which I'm giving it a nickname of "P-Fi") website. It consisted of installing the P-Fi app from the Google Play Store. The only hiccup occurred when I attempted to transfer my current Google Voice number. It's supposed to take up to 2 days for the transfer but in my impatience I clicked on the finalized part. An error popped up to Contact Support which I immediately did. I spoke to a very helpful support rep, Genesis, who did some basic troubleshooting. It turns out I only had to restart my Nexus 6 to complete the activation. LOL. So here I am today playing with my Nexus 6 running Project Fi. So far I have not noticed any vast improvement in connection speed but I plan on doing more testing this weekend. For reference, I did run a speedtest app on both my Nexus 5 (using AT&T mobile service) and Nexus 6. If you look at the results side-by-side, the results are pretty similar. However I plan on testing my Clash of Clans game on both Nexus phones to see if (1) any difference in connection speeds and (2) if I get any dropped connections that I normally get during an average session using my Nexus 5 AT&T mobile coverage. I'll post my results here next Monday. JP

No comments: